An eclectic mix of interesting finds . . . clothes: style: food: baking: crafting: sewing: music . . .

Friday 15 October 2010

Handmade in Birmingham



It's funny how life can turn out. If Sara hadn't gone to the COWshop and met Francine and then in turn got involved with Handmade Birmingham AND if I hadn't started this blog which in turn led me to buy my SLR camera then the following wouldn't have happened . . .

I pop along to the Handmade Market again on the 2nd of October to take a few photos for Sara and Birdieblue. Whilst I'm there I get involved taking photos of the other stalls for the Handmade Brum website. This was great fun for me and also got me involved in another exciting project combining Mariama, some denim and Oxfam (more to come on that soon . . . )

So what about this Handmade Birmingham Market? These weekend market is really a well organized and thought out venture by Francine that fills a gap in the Birmingham City Centre. Birmingham is a great City for mainstream shopping and yes there is the Custard Factory for more creative/ retro/ vintage shopping but that's about it (please correct me if I'm wrong). The Handmade Birmingham market offers consumers good value for money on unique, creative and handmade (duh!) items from cards to jewellery to fashion to cakes  . . . . to name a few . . . 

It also allows these businesses a place to sell their ware's without the constraint of having a stall weekly or with huge overheads. Thus allowing new or well established businesses the flexibility and ensuring the market has a variety of stalls each week.

Yep it sounds like a hard sell. It's not, nor does it need to be. Pop along yourself to the outside stalls next to St Martins Church in the Bullring or visit the links above for more info. Now for less chat and more pictures . . .

 Francine - organiser of Handmade Birmingham


Birdieblue - Millinery and textiles by Sara







Thank you to Francine for the photo. Please visit Handmade Birmingham to see the stall holders featured here and at the weekend markets.


10 comments:

  1. My lovely portrait photo was taken by Erin Power!
    Thanks for the great blog post! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem Francine! and Laura well you'll just have to visit Brum (or it is your Birthday coming very soon so . . . )Thanks for leaving the comments : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE all the photos Becky :) you've really done loads since I last looked on the blog! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. :O who is that teacup by, do you know? Must have it! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, the teacup is really cool isn't it? I can't remember exactly but I will ask Francine the organiser and get back to you! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The amazing ceramics with transfer prints are made by Karen Garland, a.k.a. Queenie Love. Keep an eye on the handmade Birmingham website (link in the post) as there doesn't seem to be a website yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for checking for me. I'll keep an eye out for when she's back at the market xx

    ReplyDelete